Sunday, November 4, 2012

To Return to Non-Bias

   In review of my articles I have written in the past, it appears as though I have been leaning conservative.  In order to rectify this, I have decided to now write an article about two other issues that I have not exactly covered that are more liberal ideas.  First is something that appears to be very widely debated in our society is gay marriage.  I don't understand what the big deal is.  Why is it the problem of the conservatives to decide who can and can't marry.  As a straight man, I have absolutely no issue with two gay people getting married.  The argument that it will destroy the institution of marriage is a ridiculous proposition because two people that love each other is a more healthy thing, regardless of the genders involved, than two people who don't love each other or are only married because of a baby and get divorced in their 20s or 30s.
     This brings me to my next point, abortions.  How "Pro-Life" are you if you will not let a woman abort a baby that could kill her?  How good of a life will a child born out of a rape in the intercity have?  Or a teenager who hasn't finished high school, how can she support the child that she will be bringing into this world.  I am not advocating for abortions to be used as contraception.  Being Catholic, I am totally against abortions.  However, I agree with what Vice President Joe Biden said in the debates: "I refuse to impose it on equally devout Christians and Muslims and Jews. I do not believe that we have a right to tell other people that – women – they can’t control their body."  On the other side of the argument, saying that people wanting to get an abortion have to go through counseling as to options and means of caring for the baby is not right is just as horrible as saying to use it as a contraceptive measure.  I totally understand and support a woman that gets pregnant as a result of rape or a woman that is in a high risk pregnancy getting an abortion but a teenage girl or a young woman getting pregnant and using it as emergency contraception should have to go through therapy and learn how to care for the child.  If at the end of that, the person still wants an abortion, go right ahead and get an abortion.

No comments:

Post a Comment